See what else I'm up to > > > >


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Airplane Banners


Airplane Banners

I was driving down the highway the other day and I saw this:















You can’t really tell by this picture, but do you know how that sign flies through the air?  A plane.  Yep.  People still occasionally advertise using a banner flown around behind a biplane.  And if you ask me, it’s absolutely ridiculous. 

The first thing I thought was, “What?  Is someone proposing or something?”  (It’s not like you can tell right away.  Those banners are extremely difficult to read.)  Slowly, the plane circled around to an angle where I could read it.  Remember, I’m driving on the highway.

While the plane was going around, my mind shifted from what the sign read to why on Earth we still use these advertisements.  I mean, come on.  A flying banner?  Really?  I think we’ve graduated from the 1940’s. 

Before I could substantially ponder the out-dated-ness of the ad, it came into view.  It read, “Drive Savely.  State Farm.” 

…Nice one, State Farm.  I’m not talking about the clever twist on the word “savely,” either.  I’m pretty sure I took my eyes off of the road about 10 times just to try to squint out what the banner said.  A little ironic, don’t you think?  I wonder if anyone got into an accident trying to read that sign. 

I’ve never really thought highly of State Farm’s advertising/marketing strategy.  Airplane banners aren’t helping their case.

9 comments:

Blogs said...

i totally thought it said safely until u said something so i went back......wow...weirdo's

Rease said...

I have had this exact same thing happen to me! Actually I believe the ad was from Geico, but it was definitely a car insurance company telling me to drive safely. I too squinted and turned my head at odd angles multiple times thinking this was some grand statement of love or something like that. Alas, no, it was a stupid flying ad.

Leigh said...

What a great way to promote safe driving. Idiots. That's why the hubs and I just saved a ton of money by switching to Geico. (Really, we did.)

the Tsaritsa said...

They have these kinds of plane adverts down the shore where you can read an ad sitting on the beach or playing in the sand. I used to love those things! Maybe it's not a good idea to advertise on a highway, but it's great for the beach.

Cole Garrett said...

@ Tsaritsa

LOL. You're right. This might be great for beaches. No beaches in Dallas/Fort Worth, though. :)

AmberLaShell said...

wow, I saw that airplane too and I almost did get in a wreck trying to read it... major fail.

A Reel Lady said...

Randomly I saw a plane with an LED type screen attached to what appeared to be the bottom of it. Bars were advertising on it, while it flew over an outdoor concert space.

Unknown said...

You continue to see these ads because they work better than most other forms of advertising that have come along since these, back in the late 1930's. Retention and recall are the two most important factors to any business that spends ad dollars. Aerial Advertising delivers both categories at a higher rate than anything else an advertiser can buy. google Airads for more info.

posexhibition said...

Hello Sir/Ma'am,
You have really done the great job,wonderful blog with informative stuff,i loves to follow your blog.
Flying Banner
Custom Banner
Feather Flag
Trade Show Tent
Pop Up Tent

Post a Comment

 

(c)2012 Dry Humor Daily