See what else I'm up to > > > >


Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Food Faux Pas

Food Faux Pas

Fine dining is like fashion. It has phases like seasons that come and go. Fresh, creative styles are last night’s casserole faster than we can realize we’ve missed them. Any culinary connoisseur needs an ever-adapting palate to suit the relentlessly changing edible of arts. So what makes it into food famedom and how? Who knows, but it sure is easy to poke fun at!

With each erupting food-fad, masters of the craft instantly rise to fame, only to inevitably fall back into the forgotten realm of recipe remission. Remember tapas? How about going out to a restaurant and in stead of eating at a table, customers kick off their shoes and eat in a bed? It seems silly now, but they were all the rage in their prime. Here are a few examples of short-lived, comic fare.

Someone recently decided food might be more adventurous to eat if it were taken apart. The word used to describe this twist is “deconstruction.” Any and everything could be deconstructed and formed into piles of ingredients on a plate. Doesn’t that sort of defeat the purpose of having someone prepare the food for you? I like my chicken, my noodles, and my broth together in the same bowl like soup. . . because it’s soup! Imagine a plate with a sticky glob of peanut butter and a dollop of sweaty grape jelly next to conveniently-sliced (but not spread-upon) bread. Voila! Deconstructed peanut butter and jelly! But that’s not all! It has to be fancier, so instead , you’re served fire-roasted Turkish Pistachio spread and late-harvest Oregon merlot jelly on pygmy-harvested rye sourdough. Oh, and it’s a hundred bucks. I love a good savory safari, but I don’t want to work for it.

Even more recently, comfort food swept the nation. You might have encounter vine-ripened tomato gazpacho with a grilled goat cheese finger sandwich on the side. How would you like an Herbes de Provence Porterhouse meat loaf with a side of Peruvian purple potato hash? Bottom line, though, it’s still comfort food. I go out to eat wanting food I can’t cook at home. The phenomenon kind of died off when patrons began to realize that grandma’s potato soup recipe is every bit as good as that vichyssoise at the five-star downtown!

Maybe you like your vegetables vertical, your pastries painted in chocolate, your foie gras extra fatty, or your meticulously-massaged-before-butchered beef. Well enjoy it now, because the next trendy cuisine is just around the culinary corner!

8 comments:

THUNDERCAT said...

OMG I don't do food trends because I'm a creature of habit! If something is good to me...I will abuse the hell out of it and do it for years...the only thing with that is some of the things I love fade out and are no longer available...sucks for me :(

Gina said...

I love the idea of "deconstructed" food. It's called a casserole. Instead of carefully and lovingly preparing the main dish, you plop all the ingredients side by side, individually and pretend that it's artistic. And when I eat it, I shovel it all together and it tastes like a casserole.

Leigh said...

I don't like food trends. I usually wait a good six months or so to take in the opinions of everyone else who ran out to try whatever new and popular thing has come out before even considering whether or not I want to try it. Most of the fads have long gone before I even get around to considering, so it saves me lots of trouble (and money).

AmberLaShell said...

I actually don't eat out very much, and i don't think i've ever been to a 5 star place, the most expesive place i go to is chili's... otherwide i cook it at home, but these trends seem a bit retarded to me anyway, LOL.. great blog

the Tsaritsa said...

I like to eat out at diners, but that's because I don't like to be surprised with my food. I'm a picky eater and like things "just so." I think most of the food fads are ridiculous. They're only appropriate to follow if you're a "food blogger" who has some extra cash on the side.

Cole Garrett said...

So I take it, none of y'all are eating spaghetti tacos these days? LOL

Anonymous said...

"Fine dining is like fashion." I couldn't agree more! But just as I run out to at least try on the latest trends, I also run out to eat new exciting foods. Even if it's just once.

This is funny, because I currently have a blog post in my drafts folder about food. I, and luckily my boyfriend, tend to treat eating - and drinking - as a hobby. I love going out and trying new things, even if it is an epic disaster, just so I never have to wonder if I would have liked it. Every dinner date is an adventure! In fact, if it weren't for this sort of mentality, I would have spent my entire life thinking I hated sushi, when I in fact love the stuff.

At the end of the day, if you went out and had a dinner you hated, at least you know that you would never want to try that again. At worst, you're out a chunk of change and, at best, you've found your new favorite culinary wonder!

Thanks for the post, and the friend on 20sb! Well written and entertaining, I'll be coming back!

Cole Garrett said...

@ Wineoverwhine Eating out can definitely be a rewarding hobby, if you will. There are a few disappointments here and there, but overall, great food is good for your soul!

Post a Comment

 

(c)2012 Dry Humor Daily