See what else I'm up to > > > >


Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday 7/14

Mile Marker

If you’ve been reading for a while, you may know that government is always a great source of humor.  Endless, too, I might add.  You don’t even have to look that hard.  As a matter of fact, I noticed a shining example about every 5,280 feet on my drive home from Houston last weekend. 

For about 20 miles, going north on I-35W, I noticed something peculiar.  There were TWO mile markers every mile.  I looked something like this:



(This isn’t actually Texas, by the way, I fudged this picture.  But it’s pretty much exactly what I saw, minus the trees.  I tried to whip out my camera and snap a picture, but I was driving alone and by the time I thought I might just pull over to take a picture, the double markers had stopped.) 

First of all, what the heck?  Mile markers don’t really wear out and need replacing.  The ones I saw were perfectly fine.  Second, why didn’t they take down the old ones?  In some cases, they just bolted one mile marker on the same pole, below the other.  Other ones had their own poles, posted right next the existing one, literally inches away.  Third, who paid for this?  YOU DID!  Ha!  Instead of fixing that ridiculous pothole or cover that profane graffiti or buy some books for a school in need, your tax dollars made superfluous mile markers in the middle of nowhere. 

I wouldn’t recommend writing a letter to your representative or anything.  They know what’s best.  Remember, “Don’t Mess With Texas!”

By: S. Cole Garrett

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

(c)2012 Dry Humor Daily